Sunday October 25, 2015
Speaker: Charity Tony-Ubah
It is a known fact that in every contest a winner emerges. A champion is one who wins the contest and as such he is called a victor, an overcomer and a winner. Subsequently the one who remains standing after the battle has elapsed is a champion. It was clear from our text that David was the one who remained standing after the battle was over as Goliath was slain dead and David stood victorious on top of the giant who was ready to give David’s body to the fowls of the air and the beasts of the field 1 Samuel 17: 44, what a shame.
The divine part of this is that God is the one who orchestrated the whole scenario. The almighty, the highest God, the one who watches over His own, in whom nothing is impossible, the one that is faithful to His promises and that has never lost any battle. He is capable of burying his enemies alive Psalm 24:7-10. He shows up even in the deepest heat as seen in Daniel 3:25, He ambushes our enemies and takes over the battle on our behalf as seen in 2 Chronicle 20:22 – 25, He shows up when we call upon him to prove He is our backbone. When Elijah called upon him in 1 kings 18: 17 – 40, He was very available to make it clear that there is a difference between the most high and Baal. With Joseph he was a strategist who meticulously planned out the life of Joseph in considering the gang up against him, what He has said he made to come to pass in Joseph’s life. Genesis 37 – Genesis 41. Across the bible we have several examples of those that received divine intervention Abraham, Paul, Paul and Silas, miracles of Jesus brought about divine purposes at different times.
There is always a divine hand to every purpose God has given to a child of God. He brings out the champion in the individual that believes, relies and trust Him all the way. Proverbs 3: 5-6. A divine champion is specifically raised by God 1 Samuel 2:8. God is the helper and a support that takes a man from obscurity to limelight and all these He does for a purpose.
WHO IS A DIVINE CHAMPION?
- He is one that is made wise by God. Daniel 2: 20-21. This wisdom is referred to as the fear of God and it is the application of knowledge to divers’ problems and unpleasant situations in our lives, the lives of others, institutions, organizations and nations. Wisdom makes way for progress and success. Example of the life of Solomon, Daniel and Joseph.
- He is the one who is God’s representative and sponsored by God. God gives him the abilities to bless men and honour God. Example is Samuel 1 Samuel 3:19 and Elijah 2 kings 1: 9 – 12. He fights in the name of God, fights the enemies of God, diseases, demons, poverty, barrenness etc.
- He is the one that is loved and sustained by God. Elijah in 1 Kings 17: 3 – 9. He was preserved at the brook cherith and also taken care of by a widow at Zerephath. Your needs will be met like that of Elijah’s as you make yourself available to be occupied with God and His business. Blessings you did not crave for would locate you and come round to you In Jesus Name. God desires to promote, support and strengthen you. He will make wise, He will love you, sponsor you and He will sustain you as a divine champion.
- A divine champion is an ambassador of God, he speaks on behalf of God and as such God backs whatever he says 1 Samuel 3:19.
WHAT CAN DIVINE CHAMPIONS DO?
- They can defeat sickness, Mark 16:18 – These signs shall follow them that believe and in my name they will lay hand on the sick, they will recover.
- They can defeat demons, mark 16:17 – in my name they will cast out demons
- They can neutralize curses 2 kings 2: 19 – 22, Elisha cancelled the curse on Jericho as God gave him wisdom what to do to restore the water and the ground.
- They can defeat barrenness, 2 kings 4: 8 – 17. The story of the shunemite woman.
- They can defeat poverty 2 kings 4: 1 – 7, you will have more than sufficient as a divine champion.
- They can defeat even death. 2 kings 4: 18 – 44.
- They can defeat the siege of the enemy 2 kings 7: 1 – end.
PERSONAL ADVANTAGES IN BEING A DIVINE CHAMPION.
- It is impossible for you to fail on a permanent basis. Philippians 4:13. The enemy can knock you down but cannot knock you out for God is standing by to resuscitate you. 1 kings 19: 1 – 8.
- A divine champion is on top permanently. Deuteronomy 28: 13. We shall be the head and not the tail.
- He enjoys God’s support, strengthening and speed. Just like Elijah received strength to out run Ahab who was on chariots. 1 kings 18:46. With God at our back we will do the difficult and humanly impossible effortlessly.
REQUIREMENTS IN BEING A DIVINE CHAMPION
- Consistent faith in God Hebrews 11:6
- Seek God diligently. Psalm 34:10 – The young lions do lack and suffer hunger but they that seek the Lord will never lack any good thing.
- Be determined to know God and be voracious to find out more about him from reading his word and other Christian literature that would expose you to deeper truths. Remember even Paul said that I may know Him and the power of his resurrection. 2 Timothy 2:15
- You need to submit to God. James 4:7
- You need to spend quality time with Him and then learn to talk to Him, spend time to praise and worship Him without reservation. John 4: 23 -24. God is seeking those who would worship Him in spirit and in truth.
- You must be holy because our God is a holy God. There must be a point of agreement to walk with Him. Amos 3:3. 1 Peter 1: 15 – 16 – You must be holy for I am holy. Stay away from sin, Hebrews 12:1. We must consciously be transformed and be renewed to become a divine champion. Romans 12: 1 – 2.
It is instructive to know that we have different categories of champions, the potential champions, the reigning champion and the ex-champion. We should all strive to always be at the level of reigning champions to get the full benefits of the gifts and promises of God. This requires we stay away from sin and remain holy. We would not end our reign on earth alone but would continue to reign with Him in eternity. John 14:1 -3, He promised us that He is gone to prepare a place for us and He will come for us and we will be together with Him. Let’s take the decision to run the race before us with God’s unlimited strength and strive to be undefeated champions as the opportunity awaits us to reign with Jesus Christ in His kingdom. Be a touch bearer who would useful in His kingdom work in point others to the kingdom for God is counting on us to be this divine champions in these last days.
God Bless you!