28 December 2014, Christian Evangelical Social Movement National Prayer Conference 2014, Asaba, Nigeria
Our theme in this year’s National Prayer Conference is SPIRITUAL AND SOCIAL TRANSFORMATION. Transformation takes place at various levels. Globally and nationally there are many changes taking place we need to attend to in prayers in this Conference. Several forces drive the transformation at the global and national levels. These include the Internet, Arab Spring, terrorism, Islamic fundamentalism, the price of oil at the international market, etc. Though global and national situations may seem gloomy, God is able to turn situations around. ISAIAH 32:12-19 says:
“People shall mourn upon their breasts
For the pleasant fields, for the fruitful vine.
13 On the land of my people will come up thorns and briers,
Yes, on all the happy homes in the joyous city;
14 Because the palaces will be forsaken,
The bustling city will be deserted.
The forts and towers will become lairs forever,
A joy of wild donkeys, a pasture of flocks—
15 Until the Spirit is poured upon us from on high,
And the wilderness becomes a fruitful field,
And the fruitful field is counted as a forest“
The following are the events or issues that affect changes at the global level:
* Violence and discrimination against Christians
* Missions and persecution is now synonymous
* Christian culture is being destroyed and wiped out in Northern Nigeria and the Middle East.
* The threat and spread of Islamists: ISIS, Boko Haram, Al Shabab, Al Qaeda,
* Same sex marriage is increasingly becoming acceptable in some societies.
* Gay apologists are becoming bold to declare their stand in the public
The following events are affecting changes at the national level:
* Violence and discrimination among Christians increasing
* Destruction of Churches
* Killing of Christians
* Adoption and enslavement of Christian girls
* Denial of religious rights
* Heartless killings by Boko Haram
- The spectre of violence and possible break-up of Nigeria loom very large in the political horizon: North vs South South
- The attitude of politicians: selfish, violence prone, and cultish
- Economic changes: the fall in the price of oil, the devaluation of the Naira
- All these have created an atmosphere of uncertainty, fear and tension.
- Volatile States: Rivers, Ekiti, North Eastern States.
IN VIEW OF THE ABOVE HOW THEN DO WE PRAY?
- Remember God’s purpose and plans for Nigeria
- Historical precedence: God has always helped us – He helped us in 1993, 1999, 2003, etc
- The place and power of Repentance 2 Chronicles 7:14; Jonah 3:10
- Ask for God’s mercy to triumph over judgement. The cry for God’s mercy should be louder now than before.
- Ask God to send revival rather judgement. ISAIAH 32:12-19 shows us that a gloomy situation can be turned around when God pours our his Spirit.