Notes from Sunday 17 March, 2013..
Speaker: Evangelist Azuka Ogo
Key Passages: Proverbs 11:30, Daniel 12:3, Romans 10:12-17
How beautiful are the feet of those who bring the good news
Evangelist Ogo began by thanking the church for all the sincere gifts and efforts of time, finance and prayers that have been given towards the month of Evangelism. She blessed the church, assured them that God received all of those efforts and encouraged the congregation to continually improve on efforts in preaching Christ. God wants to use everyone, and Christians simply need to present themselves willingly for his purpose.
“We do not have forever, seek out someone and evangelize”. She related a story shared by Evangelist Reinhard Bonnke: he had an urge to witness Christ to a young lady walking past him, and beckoned unto her. She was uninterested in his message and walked away. Bonnke’s spirit continued to prick him and he beckoned unto her again. Still she ignored him and walked on. This happened a third time. As she crossed the road, she was hit by a car and died immediately.
Evangelist Ogo emphasized that Christians should be conscious of opportunities that God creates to witness Christ. We need to pray, and be alert. Also, she encouraged Christians to be genuinely interested in other people’s lives. We can ask how other people are faring, bless them, smile at them and help them.
She shared some of the activities of the Evangelism team;
- Children’s Club: this fellowship holds in church on Saturday evenings for children from the community. Evangelist Ogo asked members of the church to volunteer with the children’s fellowship as there are currently only 2 adults to a group of 50 children.
- Canal View Fellowship: led by Onome Asagbra and Moses Ani, meetings are held on Sunday mornings in the neighbourhood around the church. Permission in principle has been granted by the local government authority for the construction of a temporary structure to house the Fellowship and Social support Services (through MercyHands NGO)
- The Ladies Tea Fellowship: Ladies host this fellowship in their homes or offices. The theme is ‘Lifting Up Jesus’.
- Badagry Outreach: This will hold at HAC Badagry Mission on Saturday the 30th of March 2013.
Why do we Evangelize?
God wants every follower of Jesus to tell the world of His love and what He has done for mankind through Jesus. Mark 16:15, John 3:16
There will be accountability for those who ignore the great Commission. Ezekiel 33:8-9, Proverbs 24:11-12
God looks upon the soul of a man as more important and valuable than all the riches of the world. Matthew 16:26-27
The people of this world are in a desperate state and Jesus is their only hope. He is the way, the truth and the life. He is the answer they need. John 14:6
No one in the world has an excuse. Every person that does not respond to the gospel will be eternally lost. Romans 1:18-20, John 3:18, Matthew 25:31-46
Many people in the world are yet to hear and receive the gospel. As true disciples of Jesus, we must commit ourselves wholeheartedly to GOD’S desire to see the whole world reached. John 3:16-17
Paths of Evangelism
Vital tips to be an effective Soul Winner
- Knowing Jesus better and following him more closely
- Remaining in fellowship with the brethren- Do not be isolated!
- Obedience to God and to higher spiritual authority
Evangelist Ogo concluded with 1 Corinthians 15:58:
- So then, my dear friends, stand firm and steady. Keep busy always in your work for the Lord, since you know that nothing you do in the Lord’s service is useless (Good News Translation)
Someone has to go out and explain, take people’s hands and walk them to Christ
That someone is you!