In this discourse, two facts should be clearly established.
- Over 95% of the big companies today started as small companies and they grew over the years.
- No company can grow beyond the capacity of its owners or managers. Therefore the greatest obstacle to the growth of a company is not necessary finance or markets but the capacity of its managers.
It therefore means that for a business to grow, managers must expand their capacity to lead.
Expansion of Capacity
Capacity as defined by Longman English Dictionary is “an ability to do something” To expand one’s capacity means to increase one’s ability to do something better. This can be done as follows:
- The inner development of the spirit man. Isaiah 55:1-3. Here is a clear invitation to abundant life. A strong inner man provides strength in the face of challenges and absorbs shock in the midst of the unexpected. In the above passage four words are very distinct. There are: come; listen; buy and eat.
- ‘Come ‘stand for fellowship and communion with God. We obtain it by reading the word of God and dwelling in the place of prayer.
- ‘Listen’ means getting into the Master’s bosom to receive instruction for the next assignment. Mother Theresa says “ the more we receive through prayer, the more we can give in the activity of our daily lives”.
- ‘Buy’ means outside God nothing satisfies.
- ‘Eat’. To receive fulfillment from God.
This is the stage of self- discovery, knowledge and awareness of oneself.
- The outer development or outer journey. This is where one build networks, relationship and connect with others. (Genesis 41:14, Ruth 3: 2-5, Mark 10: 46-50) . Lessons from these scriptures.
- Develop a strong desire for growth or change.
- Develop a new attitude for change. Ie forget the past.
- Build alliance with employees, customers and suppliers
- Develop your skills and talents
- Conquer fear or confront your fear.
Three basic Ingredients for business growth
- A very clear vision and a well-defined objective.
- Entrepreneurial spirit. The owner or manager must have Energy, Passion and Speed.
- Invest in human capital development.
Dealing with constraints:
Our business must grow in the midst of constraints. When asked the effect of global sanctions on Russia, President Putin said “ we need to use these sanctions to develop ourselves more”. Constraints could be a better impetus for a better outcome.
In Nigeria, we have three major constraints
- The constraint of fast policy changes
- The constraints of under resources
- The constraints of human capital development.
What to do in the midst of constraints
- Develop bold ambition in the midst of significant constraints
- Keep optimism alive
- Be prayerful and look onto God for direction.