The world is governed by words. Physically and spiritually, there is a war of words going on around us. Written or spoken words of political leaders can alter the entire political and economic dynamics of the world. The recent pronouncement of the sitting president of one of the world powers withdrawing his country from an earlier Climate Change agreement has unsettled the world.
The Bible says in Ecclesiastes 8:4, “The king’s word is law. No one can ask him, “Why are you doing this?” (CEV)
If the words of mere mortals can exert such global influence, how powerful, then, is God’s word?
- The Word of God – a brief insight
God’s word is either spoken or written:
- The word of God in simple terms is anything that God spoke directly. Example to Adam and Eve, (Genesis 2:16-17; 3:9-19), to Abraham, (Gen. 12:1-3), etc.
- God’s word is also what He spoke through the prophets, apostles and Jesus Christ.
- God’s word is also the written record of what the prophets, apostles and Jesus have spoken. These are commonly referred to as the Scriptures
- Jesus Christ is God’s Word revealed
- God’s Word Works
Does God’s word work? Yes, it does.
God does not speak empty words and when He does, they are intentional and for a definite purpose. His words have the ability to cause a change or change a course in the life of an individual, family or a nation.
“For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.” (KJV)
In Isaiah 55, God made a passionate call to His children to repent and turn to Him to partake of the blessings of His covenant, i.e. receive His grace at no cost. God went on to reassure them of His commitment to His word…that they don’t return empty when spoken. Every farmer knows the importance of rain; for without rainfall, there will be draught. They know that the outburst of rain means a bumper harvest. To get them understand the impact His word can have on their lives, He used rain, a vital ingredient in their daily life activities to establish what His word can do in their lives.
He said, “Rain and snow fall from the sky and don’t return until they have watered the ground. Then the ground causes the plants to sprout and grow, and they produce seeds for the farmer and food for people to eat. In the same way, my words leave my mouth, and they don’t come back without results. My words make the things happen that I want to happen. They succeed in doing what I send them to do.”(ERV).
- Rain falls intentionally, i.e. for a purpose. God has His clear intention for sending His word.
- After a rainfall, there is an effect. His word has the ability to cause a change and change a course in the lives of His children no matter the situation.
- Just as there will be draught without rain, there will be both spiritual and physical draught without God’s word in our lives.
Hosea 12: 13 say: “And by a prophet the Lord made Israel come up out of Egypt, and by a prophet he was kept safe.” (BBE)
The course of Israel’s history changed for God with the coming of God’s word to His children through the prophet (Moses). God’s word shall cause a change and change the course of your life today for good in Jesus’ name.
- God’s Word is Above All
David understanding power of God’s word and the place of the word said:
“I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.” Psalm 138: 2(KJV)
In Hebrew, the word, “magnify” means to lift up, to make great, powerful, etc. God’s word is lifted up, greater and more power than ALL His name!
“…for you have made your word greater than all your name. “ (BBE)
A man is known by his word. The character of a man is seen in his word. If you want to know whether a man is faithful, examine his word; what happens when he speaks, do his words come to pass?
- To a Hebrew, a person’s name described his character and nature. Biblical names, titles and descriptions of God, therefore, identify ways Bible characters personally came to know God. The Scriptures are a record of God’s revelation of Himself to people. Each name of God is part of that revelation, (Exodus 3: 13-14). But the different revelations of God to His people at different times are insufficient to give a total representation of the fullness of God. God can only be understood by His unfailing word, which is the foundation upon which the various names of God are built upon.
- The name of someone according to Hebrew custom referred to his authority and reputation. Therefore, the name of God refers to His authority and reputation. The name of Jesus Christ also refers to his authority and reputation, (Judah and Tamar, Phil. 2:9-10; John 14:13; 15:7)
- The implication is that God has exalted His word above all other things that are under His authority and reputation, i.e. His name.
- The Bottom-line
This is the bottom-line about Psalm 138:2
- The nature and character of God’s name is revealed through His word. The Bible the word of God reveals the God behind His name. In other words, God’s word gives His name character.
- God will not stamp His name on anything which His word has not endorsed or approved
- God has exalted His word above His authority and reputation; God will not use His position, i.e. His authority to change the rules (His Promises-His word). God lives by His rules
Because the Lord has through His word sanctioned Supernatural Increase and the Harvest in your life, you will indeed experience multiple harvests this season in Jesus’ name.
5.God’s Word is Faithful
God will on no occasion or reason use His position to change His words. This He confirmed to Balaam who was under pressure by Balak to curse Israel
“God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?” Numbers 23:19.
God does not say something and do another; whatever He says we can trust Him to fulfil it.
There is no going back concerning God’s word in your life. What He has promised will be established no matter the manipulations in Jesus’ name.
- The Word Holds All Things
In the OT God’s word was either written or spoken, but in our time, the word assumes a personality who ties all things in place.
God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high; (Hebrews 1:1-3)
In establishing the Power of God’s word, the author of the Book of Hebrews made some revealing statements:
- God in time past spoke to the patriarchs through His prophets, (vs.1) Also see Numbers 12:6
- In our present time God speaks through His Son, Jesus Christ who is the heir of all things and through whom God created the world, (vs. 2)
- Jesus Christ in every way is God, (vs. 3)
- JESUS HOLDS EVERYTHING TOGETHER BY HIS WORD
Yes! The word is that powerful; the entire world…all creation is supported, suspended, held together, and sustained, etc. by the word of God the Father and the word of God the Son.
No one and nothing can survive with the word…God’s word is our life wire.
- The Word Has Power to Give Life
Continuing, the author of Hebrews said:
“For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. “ (Hebrews 4:12 KJV)
The word of God is quick because the word is living. The word of God is powerful because the word is active and has the ability to cause an effect, i.e. the ability to bring a change in the life of an individual or any situation.
- God’s Word Revealed
If God’s word is living and has the ability to bring a change in the life of an individual, the word cannot be inanimate. The word must be a person…a living being. Who then, is the word?
“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men.” (John 1:1-4).
Then verse 14,
“And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. “
- Jesus is incarnate and has always been with God
- Jesus is the personal Word of God through whom the world was created. He has always been with the Father.
- Jesus is the Word of God manifest in flesh.
- Jesus who is the Word of God reveals the heart and mind of God. It is only by the word that we can know God
- Because Jesus reveals the heart and mind of God, through him, God’s will and purposes for you have been endorsed. And whatever Jesus has endorsed cannot be revoked.
“And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.” Gal. 3:29
- Power of the Word Demonstrated
What do you want the Word to do for you?
The centurion in Matthew 8: 5-8 whose servant was ill understood the law of authority; that Jesus Christ is above all things and situations…Jesus has all things under his feet and that distance was no barrier. With this understanding, he asked the Lord to declare his word unto his sick servant who was sick and far away far away.
No doubt, the Word of God broke all barriers, travelled all the way and healed the centurion’s servant
What do you want God’s Word to do for you?
God spoke and the world was created. Jesus spoke and the centurion’s servant who was miles away was healed.
- Your Response – Prayers
God by His Word has endorsed your salvation in Christ. By His unfailing word, God has approved all good things about you and because God will not use His position as God to alter what He has said about you, you cannot remain quiet in your seat.
Remember this is our season of Supernatural Increase…and there shall none be barren in our midst, sick or in despair, none shall be in bondage of Satan.
Begin now to speak God’s word into your situation.