Sunday 5 October 2014
He’s Alive Chapel – Sunday October 05, 2014
Maintaining an Overcomer’s Lifestyle: A Postconference Review
Maintaining in this context is to preserve, to keep up, to uphold (a state or condition). We want to talk about how we can maintain an overcomer’s’ lifestyle so that we can learn all the skills we need to remain victorious for good. The reason why it may seem that we slide back to living defeated lives shortly after a major powerful conference like this is this: we did not learn to stay on the word or on the things God taught us as long or as powerfully as we should have. We declare ourselves victorious too soon and run off only to get wounded in the battle and cry back.
Overcomers’ Conference 2014 is over, but living the lifestyle of an overcomer is just about to begin. It is usual for teachers or instructors who are skilled and who know their onions to spend a little time (usually another class period) to review concluded courses. It’s not about head knowledge- it’s about heart knowledge.
The purpose of this is to wrap up the course by reviewing the highlights of the course with a view to check out what the students have gained and how they will use what they have gained in the real world. Also we investigate the abilities of students to tackle the very vital topics or issues should they come out in the examination. Believe me, exam time will come to test your knowledge – how much you know and how much you can apply. I pray that when exam time comes to test how much you have gained (that is internalized) and how much you can apply (that is utilize in your daily Christian walk) from the just concluded Overcomers’ Conference, may you not fail. May God’s investment in us during the conference just like parents’ investment on their children’s education not be wasted.
And you know the evil one can’t wait to administer tests on us. He tempted Jesus- thank God Jesus passed. Have you noticed how quick he always is to send his arrows of fear and doubt to us barely after each conference? The Apostles faced many trials too but God brought them out of them all, and He will do the same for us. The power of the El-Shaddai is with us will strengthen us to overpower all the powers of the evil one.
He said in Isaiah 41:15 that He will make us into ‘A new threshing sledge with sharp teeth’, a new sharp threshing instrument which has teeth’ and with us He will thresh the mountains and beat them small (i.e. crush them). Note that God Himself is the one who will ‘make us to be able to do this and not we ourselves.
A second reason why we must do a proper wrap up is to ensure we are not half-baked. If we are not properly prepared we can cause harm to ourselves and others. Compare people like Absalom, Adonijah, and Nabal to people like Mordecai, Daniel, Joseph, and David. The first set were overly presumptuous and consequently became casualties while the second set who were well groomed by God, and waited on Him ended strongly and victoriously. I’m sure you can think of quite a number of people in our society who regard and parade themselves as experts whereas they are plain sharks, quacks and charlatans.
A third reason why we need to review all that the Lord has taught us during the overcomer’s conference is this-when we stay on the word and put it before us and dwell on it, not allowing ourselves to be moved or distracted from it then the word of God will truly work wonders in our lives. A friend of mine shared with me of how God healed of cancer by asking her to put His word daily before her and dwell on it. And so she got small flash cards on which she wrote the word of God and daily meditated on it and confessed it. Not long after God healed her. The word we need to have victory over the devil is not a one run-off-the-mill kind of thing. It is the one we will be in our hearts, and we shall teach to our children, and shall talk of them when we sit in our houses and when we walk by the way, when we lie down and when we rise up. It is the one we shall bind as a sign on our hands and they shall be as frontlets between our eyes and we shall write on the door post of our house and on our gates – Deuteronomy 6:6-9.
How do you make A or A+ in a subject? It is by reading the essential course materials or text book over and over and over again and not just by reading it once and expecting a miracle to happen and you will have excellent grade in the course. Paul said in Philippians 3:1 that for him to write the same things to them is not tedious and for them it is safe.
To maintain an overcomer’s lifestyle here are a few salient points we can draw from what God told us during the conference.
- First and foremost realize that God loves you and He won’t put sickness on you.
- The barriers have been broken and all you need to do now is move forward, start to do all what God wants you to do trusting the Holy Spirit who is with you. (for more on this see General Overseer’s early morning teaching last Sunday or my summary just be)
- As a child of God maintain your divinity, authority, command and dominion.
- What you are afraid of is already afraid of you.
- Guard yourself with the word of God – Deuteronomy 11: 18-25, confess it, believe it and act on it. (This kind of confession is not the type we babble with our mouth only but do not mean with our hearts). Everything you need is in the word.
- FAITH IS A CHOICE. FEAR IS A CHOICE. CHOOSE FAITH DAILY.
- Also choose health against sickness, life against death and blessing against curses.
- Anytime you come across fear, frustration and hopelessness change mode and move to resistance mode. That is resist it.
- Jesus said “Let not your heart be troubled….” (John 14:27). Obey and don’t let. You have a choice to let your heart be troubled or not let your heart be troubled. Choice faith and don’t let.
- Open your gates wide every day to receive God’s daily blessing and truckloads of abundance that He sends to your house fresh on a daily basis. Ensure you house is not a hut house with thatched roof –for if it is there won’t be anywhere for the angels of God to place goods if they get to your house.
- When the devil strikes with those first persons statement arrows that he expects for you to repeat after him such as “I have headache” switch mode fast and strike back with the word of God. Stop, arrest and hold captive every satanic word or intention. Change mode and change to RESISTANCE MODE. Satan can’t put fear in you if you don’t permit it.
- Don’t let the devil hold you captive. You hold him captive first!
- Live with the awareness that your mind is the battle ground. If the devil cannot defeat you in your mind then he cannot defeat you.
- Remember that the word of God is alive on its own and travels without restrictions.
- Come out clean each day and every day. Evil and sin are like a magnet that attracts the devil and demons to you. Demons follow sin. Don’t live a life of sin.
- Daily choose faith and develop your faith. Without faith it is impossible to please Him.
- Each day will come with its own challenges and we are to engage the word of God and faith and also the mighty hand of God-the theme of our 2014 National Convention. Don’t forget all the words God spoke to us in the past. Always recall them, go through them and use them.
- Remember that your helper the Holy Spirit of God will help you. Engage the help of your helper (the Holy Spirit) in your time of need.
- It does not matter the type, the age or the size of any problem the GREAT I AM is bigger than any problem – He told us that He is also the EL –Shaddai – the all sufficient God.
- Don’t forget: God will never put sickness on you to discipline you.
- We listen to God and hear from Him – we find out what He wants us to do and how.
- We do what He says.
- God does what He says He will do.
Lastly, in words of prophecies God says we are REDEEMED and REPOSITIONED.
He said to tell His people that if we will keep our eyes on Him we will know no limit. He said that when He pours His abundance on us he rejoices but that when the abundance is not claimed He grieves. He said to tell us to open our gates wide and prepare wide store houses (warehouses). Our greatest problem as people of God is lack of understanding of what God has already provided. Many of us are looking to God to provide and give but God has already done those things. He said that when we depend on Him and trust Him we will know no limits.
May God daily bless His words in our hearts. Amen.