Convention 2014..Day 4
Key Passage: Psalm 147:1-20;
“1. Praise ye the Lord : for it is good to sing praises unto our God; for it is pleasant; and praise is comely.
2. The Lord doth build up Jerusalem: he gathereth together the outcasts of Israel.
3. He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.
4. He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names. Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.
5. The Lord lifteth up the meek: he casteth the wicked down to the ground.
6. Sing unto the Lord with thanksgiving; sing praise upon the harp unto our God:
7. Who covereth the heaven with clouds, who prepareth rain for the earth, who maketh grass to grow upon the mountains.
8. He giveth to the beast his food, and to the young ravens which cry.
9. He delighteth not in the strength of the horse: he taketh not pleasure in the legs of a man.
10. The Lord taketh pleasure in them that fear him, in those that hope in his mercy.
11. Praise the Lord, O Jerusalem; praise thy God, O Zion.
12. For he hath strengthened the bars of thy gates; he hath blessed thy children within thee.
13. He maketh peace in thy borders, and filleth thee with the finest of the wheat.
14. He sendeth forth his commandment upon earth: his word runneth very swiftly.
15. He giveth snow like wool: he scattereth the hoarfrost like ashes.
16. He casteth forth his ice like morsels: who can stand before his cold?
17. He sendeth out his word, and melteth them: he causeth his wind to blow, and the waters flow.
18. He sheweth his word unto Jacob, his statutes and his judgments unto Israel.
19. He hath not dealt so with any nation: and as for his judgments, they have not known them.
20. Praise ye the Lord”
The mighty hand of God is evidenced by the works He does. To me and to most of us the mighty hand of God must manifest in practical terms such as:
1. Raising Godly, educated and potentially successful children
2. It is about owning a successfully growing business
3. It is also about growing a successful ministry for those of us who are Pastors here
4. And without sounding verbose, it is about being as Pastors, successful people-practitioners
5. It is about owning a reputation and protecting it and much more.
– The Mighty hand of God is only as mighty as the miracles in our lives.
– The Mighty hand of God isn’t us reading about Bible stories of His mighty deeds in Israel or His “WoWs” in other people’s lives. We must look at what He can do in our lives, what indeed He does in our lives and days, and definitely in our Nations.
– God likes to deal with us as individuals because we must stand before Him, all of us, to account for what he has committed to our charge. However. He prefers to deal with us as a Nation because we must account for the Nations He has given us, beginning with our families, our Church and then Nigeria. Now that’s to me and should be to us, the mighty hand of God. If you’ve read Hebrews Chapter 11, like I know you’ve done, you’d know what mighty things God can do with His hands.
– Now, notice in our title that God’s got hands: the Mighty Hands of God implies that God has hands. God’s hands are for action. No wonder Jesus says in John 5: 17 “My Father worketh hitherto and I work” Oh yes the hands of God work!
– God isn’t mighty because times are good. God’s might and greatness are not demonstrated simply in good times and situations. For example, God’s love is better appreciated in a life packed full with a multitude of sins. A man or woman caught in a family that’s saved and churched is going to grow up more likely than not in an atmosphere of godliness and may not fully know the depth of God’s love like his counterparts who’ve been perhaps, you know, dragged out of the vice and the deep pit called warmongering or harlotry for example.
God’s first directly spoken words in the Bible were – “Let there be light…” or “Light be” (Genesis 1). But this command had to wait. The command had to wait until The Spirit of God moved. God didn’t move his hand until His Spirit was moved. The voice of God is the hand of God and God’s hand is mighty. It is funny to think that the mighty hand of God is Mighty because of its size. NO! It is not mighty because of its size but because of the size of what He does. If you see the size of my hands you have seen the size of God’s hand because I am made in His image. The voice of God is the leg of God. Why do I say this? Because God doesn’t ever leave His Throne. God can replicate Himself elsewhere but He will not leave His Throne. “And they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God amongst the trees of the garden” – Genesis 3:8. His hands and legs leave His Throne only by His voice (Psalm 29:1-11). For the same reason the centurion told Jesus not to come to heal his servant but to speak or send His word (Matthew 8:5-13). Now, scripture says He sent forth his word and His Word healeth them (Psalm 107:20). Now I cannot imagine God leaving His Throne.
The same thing happened at the pool of Bethesda (John 5:1-13). The angel by the command of God’s spirit moved at certain season upon the pool and the first person to jump in was blessed.
“But now bring me a musician.”
Then it happened, when the musician played, that the hand of the Lord came upon him.“
Elijah could not create the wind of the Spirit, but he could set sail to receive it.
We invite the Holy Spirit into our Lives!!!